Who We Are
Advocates for Disaster Justice is the new era of DisasterLegalAid.org, a groundbreaking national collaboration and legal relief effort that took root in the aftermath of Hurricane Katina in 2005. Under the leadership of Pro Bono Net, Lone Star Legal Aid, the American Bar Association Center for Pro Bono and the National Aid & Defender Association, Advocates for Disaster Justice has grown into the largest national network of justice advocates and allies working to advance equity, rights and resilience in communities impacted by climate-driven and other disasters. Since the major disasters of 2017, Pro Bono Net, Lone Star Legal Aid and our allies have trained more than 5,000 advocates, networked hundreds of organizations to harness the power of shared experience, and mobilized new resources to strengthen the legal response effort in times of crisis.
What We Do
The team behind Advocates for Disaster Justice:
- Provides up-to-date resources and offer trainings to legal aid attorneys and staff, pro bono attorneys, and law students across the country working on disaster response and recovery issues;
- Facilitates connections and information sharing between justice advocates in the aftermath of disasters;
- Raises awareness about the justice impacts of climate-driven disasters across the U.S.;
- Builds partnerships and collaborations with other organizations committed to disaster resilience; and
- Creates cutting-edge digital tools and resources to expand access to legal help for impacted communities.
AdvocatesforDisasterJustice.org is managed day to day by Lone Star Legal Aid and Pro Bono Net.
Our work is rooted in cooperation, trust, and mutual aid, many of the same principles shared by first responder networks and climate justice coalitions. We work hand in hand with statewide and regional disaster legal collaboratives and just recovery coalitions in places such as California, Florida, Texas and Puerto Rico. We welcome those working on both individual and systemic aspects of these evolving challenges, and seek to forge connections with allies working in intersecting racial justice, housing justice, climate and environmental justice movements.
Advocates for Disaster Justice is a joint effort of Lone Star Legal Aid, Pro Bono Net, the National Legal Aid and Defender Association, and the American Bar Association's Center for Pro Bono. Learn more here.
Website photo credits: John Eidelman, LSC; Leah Margulies, LawHelpNY.org; Alice Morey, City Bar Justice Center; FEMA.gov and Getty Images.